Monday, March 7, 2011

Rough week

Last week was tough on me in SO many ways and on top of that work has been stressful too.

At the beginning of the week I got a call from my dad saying that my uncle was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gherig's disease). The past year he was up and down and doctors in MN and AZ weren't really sure what was going on until now. Lee is my dad's oldest brother and the only uncle I have known on the Belgard side (my other uncle does not communicate with the family). My dad has always been superman to me and Uncle Lee is the same as they are both very active and athletic so you can imagine how this disease could really put someone down who is that way. He is 75 and up until this past year was golfing every day and playing softball in a league in AZ. Last summer, when the tornado hit my parents' home he came out and sawed trees down with my dad for hours. My dad offered to take him out for pie just so he'd slow down. That's how the Belgard blood runs as I recall my Grandma being the same way....a bit of stubborness too. :-) I think the hardest part is that over the years we have seen this disease affect friends and it is extremely tough on the families as well. It affects everyone differently so I just hope that my uncle can be in as little pain as possible and I pray for my aunt too. They are snowbirds in AZ now and enjoying sun with their friends. We are walking in the Mankato Walk to Defeat ALS on April 16th and would love for you to join us or if you would like to donate please visit my page: http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/MinnesoateWalk?px=2987476&pg=personal&fr_id=7036

No comments: